MATTON — Lake Land College’s Adult Education Program offers free GED and English as a Second Language classes supported by funding from the Illinois Community College Board and the Adult Education and Family Literacy Grant.
These classes help students ages 17 and older continue their education and develop valuable employability skills.
In Lake Land’s GED courses, students receive instruction, texts, online resources, and practice tests to help strengthen their language arts, social studies, math, and science skills in preparation for the GED exams.
In Lake Land’s ESL classes, non-native speakers receive an introduction to English and are immersed in the language through reading, writing, and speaking activities.
In both GED and ESL courses, students begin with an orientation session, where they become familiar with the classes and take their first assessments. Orientations for GED courses at Lake Land are held the first week of the month in October through November and January through April. Upon completion of orientation, students can begin attending GED classes at one of the following locations:
- Charleston: Eastern Illinois University, Booth Library, Room 4450
- Effingham: Clothi Center for Higher Education and Technology, 1204 Network Center Dr., Room 203 or 222
- Marshall: Eastern Region Center, 224 S, 6th Street
- For carpets: Workforce Development Center, 5001 Lakeland Blvd., Room 105
- until: Western Region Center 600 AH, First Street
- Paris: Old Paris High School, corner of South Central and West Crawford, entrance S6
- Shelbyville: First Assembly of God, 108 S. Street. okay.
- sullivan: Sullivan High School, 725 N. Main Street, Room 14
For general ESL courses at Lake Land, orientations are held in the second week of October through November and January through April. Upon completion, students can begin taking ESL classes at one of the following locations:
- Arthur: Arthur Public Library, 225 Walnut Street
- Charleston: Newman Center, 500 Roosevelt Street.
- Effingham: Clothi Center for Higher Education and Technology 1204 Network Center Dr.
- Marshall: Eastern District Center, 224 South Sixth Street
- For carpets: Workforce Development Center, 5001 Lake Land Blvd.
To view complete orientation and class schedules for both GED and ESL courses, visit www.lakelandcollege.edu/adult-education/.
For more information, call the Adult Education Line at 217-238-8292 to speak with an Adult Education representative, or contact Shannon McGregor, Director of Adult and Alternative Education, at 217-238-8383 or email@example.com.
Mattoon area places over the years